BASHIR NURA ALKALI (PERMANENT SECRETARY)
PERMANENT SECRETARY FEDERAL MINISTRY OF WORKS AND HOUSING
Bashir Nura Alkali was born on March 20, 1963 at Tudun-Wada town in Kano State, North Western Nigeria.
Mr. Alkali attended Kwalli Primary School, Kano City, for his First School Leaving Certificate which he obtained in 1974 and Government Secondary School, Rano, Kano State for his West African School Certificate WASC 1974-1979.
He proceeded to Bayero University Kano (BUK) where he obtained a Bachelor of Science Degree in Accounting between 1979 -83 and also went to Obafemi Awolowo University (formerly University of Ile Ife) for his Post-Graduate Diploma in Financial Management in 1987 where he passed with Distinction.
The employment life of Alkali was remarkable in different capacities and positions under the underlisted organisations:
* Permanent Secretary Federal Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management and Social Development, September 2020 -April 2022;
* State House, Presidential Villa, Abuja, Nigeria, Director Finance and Accounts, August 2015-August 2020;
* Federal Ministry of Justice, Deputy Director and Director Finance and Accounts, April 2009 - August 2015;
* Federal Ministry of Police Affairs/ Federal Ministry of Interior, Assistant Director and Head of Nigeria Police Accounts, August 2004 - April 2009;
* Regional (Area) Manager, NAL Merchant Bank PLC Kaduna Office January 2000 - August 2004;
* Deputy Area Manager, NAL Merchant Bank Abuja Regional Office, March 1999 - January 2000;
* Deputy Manager and Head of Domestic Operations, NAL Merchant Bank, Plc Lagos, Nigeria
April 1997 - March 1999;
* Head, Corporate Banking and Corporate Finance/Head Financial Control Departments, Group Merchant Bank Limited, November 1995 - March 1997;
* Deputy Manager and later Manager of Abuja Branch, Group Merchant Bank Limited, January 1993 - October 1995;
* Director and Head of Financial Services, Geoprojects Limited, Kano, Nigeria, January 1992 - December 1992;
* Financial and Management Accountant, Nigerian Sugar Company Limited, Bacita, Kwara State Nigeria, November 1987 - December 1991;
* Resident Auditor, Kano State Ministries of Information, Agriculture and The Board of Internal Revenue, 1984-1987
To advance his professional career, the zeal in Alkali pushed him further to acquire higher qualifications to become a fellow and an member of many institutes as follows:
* Admitted a Fellow of Chartered Institute of Forensic and Investigative Professionals of Nigeria in September 2019;
* Admitted a Fellow of the Nigerian Institute of Management Chartered in August, 2016;
* Admitted a Fellow Institute of Credit Administration, Nigeria in August, 2014;
* Admitted Fellow of the Institute of Fraud Examiners, Nigeria in October, 2011;
* Admitted Associate Member of the Association of Information Systems Audit and Control Association (ISACA), UK in November, 2011;
* Admitted Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Taxation, Nigeria in August, 2010;
* Fellow Institute of Chartered Accountants of Nigeria in March 2007;
* Associate Member Nigerian Institute of Management (Chartered) in September, 2003
* Admitted a member Associate of Chartered Institute of Taxation, Nigeria in November, 2000.
PROFESSIONAL COURSES ATTENDED
* Mandatory Continuing Professional Education Courses of Institute of Chartered Accountants of Nigeria from 1996 to date;
* Corporate Accounts Management Course –NAL MERCHANT BANK (July- August 1998). This is an intensive credit analysis course organised in conjunction with GRINDLAYS BANK in INDIA.
* Appreciation courses in respect of KAPITI Banking software as well as AS400 hardware. Many top banks in the country were using the Kapiti Banking Software in the 1990s.
* Sustaining Peak Performance: A leadership training course organised by LEADERSHIP & VISION LTD.PROJECT MANAGEMENT;
* Top Managers Course, International Law Institute In Georgetown University, Washington, D.C.
* He attended many other courses since joining the service with a view to improving performance and service delivery in the work place
CONFERENCES AND SEMINARS ATTENDED:
Bashir Nura Alkali has also attended many conferences and seminars, among which are:
* “Financing Government Expenditure” organized by Centre for Management Development (CMD) for Kano State Audit Department;
* “Auditing in the Public Sector. An appraisal of the potentials of the Auditor” Kano State Audit Department, (1985);
* Workshop on “Improving Revenue Collection Potentials, Kano State Board of Internal Revenue;
* Workshop on Securities for Bank Lending: Documentation and Enforcement in Nigeria, Potomac Lagos, (1987);
* Participated in the production of a policy document titled, “Towards Self Sufficiency in Sugar Production in Nigeria.” This formed the basis for a sugar policy in Nigeria in 1988-89.
*' Workshop on Computer Audit: An appraisal of the importance of the Audit Trail, LINSA COMPUTRONICS in Lagos, (1993);
* Workshop on Managing Problem Loans, Loan Recovery and Understanding of Decree 18 of 1994- Failed Banks (Recovery of Debts) And Financial Malpractices in Banks - Organised by CAPITAL RESEARCH CONSULTING LIMITED in Lagos in 1995;
* Lagos Business School training on Key Account Management (August 2001).
Top Federal Positions:
* Permanent Secretary, Federal Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management and Social Development, Abuja;
* Permanent Secretary Federal Ministry of Works and Housing (April 2022);
Mr. Bashir Nura Alkali is happily married with children.