Opening Remarks By The Permanent Secretary, Federal Ministry Of Works And Housing, Bashir Nura Alkali, At The 28th National Council Meeting On Works, Holding In Kano, Kano State On Wednesday, 24th August, 2022
The Hon Com for Works & Infrastructure Engr Idris Wada Saleh
The PS Kánó State Min for Works and Infrastructure Arc Ahmed Salisu
Permanent Secretaries here present
President NSE here represented
Federal Controllers of Works here present
President Surveyor’sCouncil of Nigeria
Directors from the FMWH and other MDAs both state and Federal
Reps of other agencies both state and federal
Members of the Press
Ladies and gentlemen
2. I am pleased to welcome you to the 28th Meeting of the National Council on Works holding in Kano, Kano State which incidentally is also my home state. As you are aware, the theme for this year’s National Council Meeting is “Infrastructure, the Season of Completion”. The theme is apt and timely, considering the push by all governments at this point to complete and commission most of its roads and bridge projects initiated and/or inherited.
3. Accordingly In order to ensure that the target of completing and commissioning of these projects is achieved, it has become necessary for all stakeholders to consider and provide creative and contemporary ideas and policy suggestions that will support the attainment of the above target. You may recall that a few weeks ago the National Council on Housing was also held in Sokoto where far reaching decisions were taken on sustainable development in the housing sector especially with a view to the provision of social housing and other related matters.
4. I must at this juncture thank our esteemed host, the Governor of Kano State, His Excellency Dr. Abdullahi Umar Ganduje, OFR (Khadimul Islam) and the good people of Kano State for the gesture of receiving us to deliberate on this crucial theme that was carefully chosen to ensure that the massive spending of public funds by governments at all levels in Highways and other roads infrastructure to ensure smooth mobility and access is duly accounted for through completed and commissioned road infrastructure across the country. It is of special note that the Kano State Government under his able stewardship has brought tremendous developments in the road sector that are worthy of emulation.
5. The Meeting is therefore significant as it will afford stakeholders the desired opportunities to identify some of the challenges in the highways and related sectors that could militate against successful completion and commissioning of roads in the country as this Administration winds up and to discuss strategies and possible practical solutions towards addressing them.
6. We are required to have the objectives of the National Development Plan 2021 - 2025 in mind as we look at ways of ensuring that road projects are completed and commissioned in order to galvanize national growth and sustainability. I am aware that our directors and other executives in the road sector have spent the last two days discussing these issue and these should form the basis for our discussions and our recommendations for the consideration of the council. Our recommendations should focus on restoring economic growth, the ease of doing business, local content utilization, investing in our people and creating a competitive economy through the availability of good and completed road network across the country.
7. Distinguished delegates and officials, the timing of this meeting, therefore, is very auspicious as it affords us the opportunity to think through and make necessary arrangements as well as take critical steps to ensure that road infrastructure projects are completed, commissioned as well as maintained throughout their lifespan. This will also ensure that money spent on roads and bridges impacts on the Nigerian economy and the citizens positively.
8. Finally, Let me take this opportunity to thank all those other officials and experts who have made this council meeting a success especially the Hon Comm Kánó State Ministry of Works and Infrastructure, the Permanent Secretary, Directors from the FMWH and other Federal and State MDAs, Our Dev Parners, the Local Organizing Committee, the Press and Security Agencies. I thank you most sincerely.
9. On this note, I once again welcome you all and wish us fruitful deliberations.
10. Thank you
HONOURABLE MINISTER OF HOUSING AND URBAN DEVELOPMENT, ARC. AHMED MUSA DANGIWA, PERFORMING THE GROUND-BREAKING FOR A 480-HOUSING UNIT PROJECT AT THE KUKWABA AREA OF ABUJA, ON THURSDAY, 30 NOVEMBER 2023
Honourable Minister of Housing and Urban Development, Arc. Ahmed Musa Dangiwa, performing the ground-breaking for a 480-housing unit project at the Kukwaba area of Abuja, on Thursday, 30 November 2023
HONOURABLE MINISTER OF HOUSING AND URBAN DEVELOPMENT, ARC. AHMED MUSA DANGIWA (2ND RIGHT) DURING THE COURTESY VISIT OF THE TEAM FROM INSTITUTE OF DIRECTORS’ CENTRE FOR CORPORATE GOVERNANCE ON TUESDAY, 28TH NOVEMBER, 2023
Honourable Minister of Housing and Urban Development, Arc. Ahmed Musa Dangiwa (2nd Right) during the courtesy visit of the team from Institute of Directors’ Centre for Corporate Governance on Tuesday, 28th November, 2023